- Year: 2013
- Publisher: RDA Riverina
- Published Location: Wagga Wagga, NSW
The RDA Riverina Regional Plan is a road map for the future development of the Riverina region. Through discussions and consultations with various stakeholders across the region and the review of existing planning documents a footprint for action has been developed.
The key emerging priorities and issues are:
- Infrastructure development- maintaining & building infrastructure to support industry development and the livability of the region.
- Improved, integrated and efficient transport mechanisms for the movement of freight and people including road, rail, air, bridges & intermodals. By pass options for heavy duty transport B-doubles/B-triples into the future.
- Value adding potential particularly in regard to agriculture.
- Environmental sustainability-adjusting to a variable water supply and the need for a coordinated and collaborative management system for the river (Murrumbidgee) and implementation of the Murray Darling Basin Plan.
- Workforce development- ensuring a skilled & reliable workforce particularly for health (aged care) and agriculture.
- Promotion of the region for investment & employment.
- Further development of the visitor economy particularly agri-tourism
- Community well being – building the health, skills and leadership capacity of all people in the region.
- Equitable and accessible service delivery across the region.
- Recovering and rebuilding after natural disasters (flood and drought).
- NSW Local Government review and the potential impact on communities
- Access to finance (low interest loans or investors) for private and public entities (Local Government).
- Coordinated land use plans
- Support research and innovation activities