body bg



  • Year: 2013
  • Author: Department of Mines and Petroleum
  • Publisher: State of Western Australia
  • Country: Australia
  • State/Region: Western Australia

In 2011–12, mineral exploration expenditure in Western Australia increased significantly to an all-time record of $2.1 billion. This result was 32 per cent higher than for 2010–11 and is 150 per cent higher than five years ago.

Nationally mineral exploration metres drilled increased by almost 18 per cent to 11.4 million metres over the previous year, whilst expenditure increased by 34 per cent to a record $3.95 billion in 2010–11. Most of this drilling occurred in areas of existing deposits that accounted for 68 per cent, with the remaining 32 per cent on new ground. The higher level of expenditure to a large extent can be attributed to increased exporation costs.

Related Items

Still Beating Around the Bush: The Continuing Impacts of the Mining Boom on Rural Exports

Since the beginning of the mining boom Australia’s rural sector has lost $61.5 billion in export...

Sustainable Resource Communities Policy: Social Impact Assessment in the mining and petroleum industries

The Government, in partnership with industry and local government, is committed to strengthening...

Sustainable Resource Communities Policy Social impact assessment in the mining and petroleum industries

The mining and petroleum industries are a vital part of Queensland’s economy, contributing over...

Share this with your friends

Footer Logo

Contact Us

Level 2, 53 Blackall Street
Barton ACT 2600
Telephone: 02 6260 3733
or email us