Rural policy and direct local participation: Democracy, inclusiveness, collective agency, and locality-based policy
- Year: 2001
- Author: Swanson, Louis E
- Journal Name: Rural Sociology
- Journal Number: Vol.66, No.1
- Publisher: Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Published Location: Columbia, United Kingdom
- Country: United States, Mexico
During the closing decades of the twentieth century, the federal government has experienced a period of delegitimation and fiscal crisis that has led to decentralization of some federal programs and a fledgling revival of community- and place-based policies. Historic and recent records of locality-based policies suggest that they are not panaceas for achieving programmatic goals.