- Year: 2008
- Author: Wray F, Tomaney J
- Editors: Mohrman, K.; Shi, J.; Feinblatt, S.; Chow, K-W
- Journal Name: Public universities and regional development
- Publisher: Sichuan University Press
- Published Location: Chengdu
- Country: Australia
- State/Region: Victoria
Regional development has emerged as a concern in the reassessment of the role of universities in the global knowledge economy. The capacity and ability of universities to meet this challenge, however, is shaped by the context in which universities work, including the evolving politics of national systems of regulation, intellectual and academic cultures, institutional histories and uneven economic geographies.
This chapter examines these challenges in the Australian context through a case study of Monash University.